“It starts with you, but it’s not about you.” That’s the mantra of today’s guests when it comes to nurse leadership. Dr. Lucy Leclerc and Dr. Kay Kennedy are passionate about helping nurse leaders improve their skills by focusing first on personal transformation, and they have a book on this topic coming out before the end of the year.
Lucy and Kay’s work is inspired by the idea that healthcare leadership is distinct from other industries and requires a new approach that is evidence based and human centered.
In this episode, they talk with Dan about qualities of the “end of earth leader” — the person who inspires their employees to follow them anywhere — why nurse leaders need to think about self-care as a discipline, and why it’s okay not to have all of the answers.
Links to recommended reading:
- Human-Centered Leadership in Healthcare (Book Pre-Order)
- Human-Centered Leadership: Creating Change From the Inside Out
- Human-centred leadership in health care: A contemporary nursing leadership theory generated via constructivist grounded theory
- Human-Centered Leadership in Health Care An Idea That’s Time Has Come
- AACN Healthy Work Environments Assessment Tool